Fundraising Requirements

Fundraising requirements for South Waikato Non Profit Community Organisations

There are some obligations to be undertaken if your group is considering fundraising by selling raffle tickets or goods in a public place.  Please contact South Waikato District Council’s helpful Customer Support staff who will advise and help you through any procedures that need to be met.

Street Stalls

Are for non-profit organisations selling raffle tickets or holding cake stalls. Some commercial areas in the townships are classed as ‘restricted’ areas and you will need to gain a street stall permit (Application for Use of Public Place Form available by clicking on link below) if you are considering setting up a stall.  Please contact Council’s Customer Support staff who will discuss your request and check availability of the date (only two organisations on any one day may have a stall in the same town).  If all is in order they will issue a permit (there is no charge for this).  The shop owner outside whose premises the stall will be held plus shop owners either side will need to give their permission. Click here to download form

Wholesale Stalls

Stalls that benefit the person conducting the sales for personal profit, are not authorised.

Note: there are areas ‘prohibited’ from stalls or trading, generally around state highways.  Please discuss with Customer Service Officers.


Raffles and lotteries with a prize over $500 need a licence from the Department of Internal Affairs, under the Gaming and Lotteries Act.  Licence forms are available online at The form must be completed and then posted to DIA.  Once approval is granted a stall permit will be required, as above.

Sausage sizzles or BBQ’s

Held on an occasional basis in a public place by a recognised charitable organisation are permitted, provided some criteria are followed.  This includes at least one support letter, being issued with a stall permit (Application for Temporary Food Stall) and (Application for use of Public Place) through Council’s Environmental Health Officer or by downloading these forms through the link below, and adhering to food handling, storage and hygiene standard guidelines.  An information sheet outlining these requirements is provided with the stall permit. Five days should be allowed for processing your request and applications for food permits should be on the community organisation’s letterhead explaining the purpose of your fundraiser. Click here to download forms (Use of Public place)Temporary Food Stall, Guidelines For Food Stalls

Parks and Reserves bookings

All enquiries and bookings for events, fairs and fundraisers to be held on public parks or reserves are to be made through Council’s  Parks and Reserve staff. (Land Use Application form available through link below)  They will advise if the park/grounds are available, if any current lessee approval is required, and advise on ‘ground rules’ for the venue. Click here to download forms